Frequent release policy
memoQ has a frequent release approach of memoQ. To better support predictability and planning, let us summarize the principles on support and maintenance, compatibility and versioning into one policy.
For example, in 8.7.12:
8 is the major version,
7 is the minor version,
12 is the build number.
An increase in the minor or major version number means a feature release. A feature release contains new and updated features. Since feature releases will be quite frequent, there will be fewer maintenance releases between them.
An increase in the major version number also means that some things will not be compatible with earlier versions.
For the purposes of translation, we guarantee compatibility for one major version “ahead” and “behind”: anyone using memoQ 8.x translator pro must be able to translate projects on memoQ server 7.8 (2015) or memoQ server 9.x.
Client and server, project management
- memoQ 8.5 and earlier: For project management, both major and minor version must be the same between memoQ server and memoQ project manager. For example, to manage projects on a memoQ server 8.2, you need memoQ 8.2 project manager edition.
- memoQ 8.6 and 8.7: You can use both memoQ project manager 8.6 and 8.7 to manage projects on a memoQ server 8.6 or 8.7.
- memoQ 9 and newer: Major version must be the same between server and project manager edition. That means you can use any 9.x version of memoQ project manager to manage projects on any 9.x version of memoQ server.
Internal project and resource formats will not change “inside” a major version. For example, if memoQ Ltd. intends to introduce a new feature that requires a change in the term base format, we will not introduce it before major version 10. When version 10 comes out, the memoQ and memoQ server installers might migrate some resources to the new format, or a project might be migrated to the new format when you first open it.
Side-by-side installation of different versions or overwriting the existing installation
Since memoQ introduces many feature releases in a year, it would be problematical to install all of them side by side. To avoid this, memoQ 9.1 overwrites memoQ 9.0, and 9.2 will overwrite any of those. However, the next major version, memoQ 10, will install side-by-side with memoQ 9.x. And any memoQ 9.x version can be installed side-by-side with memoQ 8.x. All of the above is just the default behavior: the user can always choose to install memoQ 9.1 or a later minor version to a different folder.
What do we mean by "supported memoQ versions"?
- Our support team only deal with issues reported on supported memoQ versions.
- Our services team only operate supported memoQ versions on hosted memoQ servers. (memoQ cloud servers are always on the latest version.)
- Our development team only provide bugfixes (that is, maintenance releases) for supported versions.
If a customer doesn't need any of the above, they can keep running unsupported memoQ versions if they prefer.
With the release of 9.0, we are introducing a new concept: long-term support (LTS) versions. It means that every year, at a predictable, scheduled time, we will produce a feature release that will be supported for 15 months. The first such version is 9.0.
Version support follows these rules:
- With the release of 9.0, support for memoQ 7.8 has been dropped.
- 8.7 will be supported until the end of 2019.
- 9.0 will get Long Term Support, which means it will be supported for 15 months.
- Next LTS version comes in 12 months after 9.0.
- The latest minor version is always supported.
This means that after 9.0, customers have two choices:
- Those who want to get the new features quickly, and don't mind upgrading every 3 months, can always use the latest memoQ version.
- Those who see stability more important than new features, or cannot upgrade every 3 months, can always use the LTS version. To stay on a supported version, they need to upgrade once a year. This gives them time to prepare for the upgrade, and 3 months to carry it out, after a new LTS version is released.
SMA and eligibility for new versions
To get a license for any new major or minor version, users need to have a valid SMA (i.e. to get 9.0, you needed a valid SMA on the release day, the 19th of June 2019). Due to the frequent release cycles, several bug fixes will go into the next minor version (feature release). In certain cases, this means that if your SMA expires, you will not receive bug fixes anymore to your latest version unless you renew your SMA. This actually does not mean any change in our SMA or upgrade policy; we are just putting out feature releases more often, and expect a valid SMA to give a license for a feature release.
To help you better plan ahead with memoQ, please find here our planned release agenda for 2019:
9.0: during Q2
9.1: during Q3
9.2: during Q4
memoQ cloud server
As of its nature, memoQ cloud server has a slightly different concept. If you are a memoQ cloud server user, you always get the latest maintenance version of memoQ. These updates typically come 14 days after the latest release is officially announced by memoQ Ltd.
Compatibility rules for memoQ cloud server are the same as for the other products.
As memoQ cloud server users always have the latest version of memoQ, support for their version is continuous and obvious.