Frequent release policy
memoQ has a frequent release approach of memoQ. To better support predictability and planning, let us summarize the principles on support and maintenance, compatibility and versioning into one policy.
For example, in 9.7.13:
9 is the major version,
7 is the minor version,
13 is the build number.
An increase in just the build number means a maintenance release – an update that only contains bugfixes.
An increase in the minor or major version number means a feature release. A feature release contains new and updated features. Since feature releases will be quite frequent, there will be fewer maintenance releases between them.
An increase in the major version number also means that some things will not be compatible with earlier versions.
Client and server, translation
For the purposes of translation, we guarantee compatibility for one major version “ahead” and “behind”: anyone using memoQ 8.x translator pro must be able to translate projects on memoQ server 7.8 (2015) or memoQ server 9.x. Similarly, memoQ 9.x translator pro works with memoQ server 8.x and will work with memoQ server 10.x.
Client and server, project management
- memoQ 8.5 and earlier: For project management, both major and minor version must be the same between memoQ server and memoQ project manager. For example, to manage projects on a memoQ server 8.2, you need memoQ 8.2 project manager edition.
- memoQ 8.6 and 8.7: You can use both memoQ project manager 8.6 and 8.7 to manage projects on a memoQ server 8.6 or 8.7.
- memoQ 9 and newer: Major version must be the same between server and project manager edition. That means you can use any 9.x version of memoQ project manager to manage projects on any 9.x version of memoQ server.
Projects and resources
Internal project and resource formats will not change “inside” a major version. For example, if memoQ Ltd. intends to introduce a new feature that requires a change in the term base format, we will not introduce it before major version 10. When version 10 comes out, the memoQ and memoQ server installers might migrate some resources to the new format, or a project might be migrated to the new format when you first open it.
Side-by-side installation of different versions or overwriting the existing installation
Since memoQ introduces about 4 feature releases in a year, it would be problematical to install all of them side by side. To avoid this, memoQ 9.1 overwrites memoQ 9.0 by default, and 9.2 overwrites any of those. However, the next major version, memoQ 10, will install side-by-side with memoQ 9.x. And any memoQ 9.x version can be installed side-by-side with memoQ 8.x. All of the above is just the default behavior: the user can always choose to install memoQ 9.1 or a later minor version to a different folder.
What do we mean by "supported memoQ versions"?
- Our support team only deal with issues reported on supported memoQ versions.
- Our services team only operate supported memoQ versions on hosted memoQ servers. (memoQ cloud servers are always on the latest version.)
- Our development team only provide bugfixes (that is, maintenance releases) for supported versions.
If a customer doesn't need any of the above, they can keep running unsupported memoQ versions if they prefer.
With the release of 9.0, we introduced a new concept: long-term support (LTS) versions. It means that every year, at a predictable, scheduled time, we will produce a feature release that will be supported for 15 months. The first such version was 9.0.
Version support follows these rules:
LTS versions are released in Q1 each year, and are supported for 15 months (until Q2 next year).
The current LTS version is 9.7 (released in Q1 2021), supported until June 2022.
The next LTS version will be released in Q1 2022, and supported until June 2023.
- The latest minor version is always supported.
This means that beginning with 9.0, customers have two choices:
- Those who want to get the new features quickly, and don't mind upgrading every 3 months, can always use the latest memoQ version.
- Those who see stability more important than new features, or cannot upgrade every 3 months, can always use the LTS version. To stay on a supported version, they need to upgrade once a year. This gives them time to prepare for the upgrade, and 3 months to carry it out, after a new LTS version is released.
SMA and eligibility for new versions
Due to the frequent release cycles, several bug fixes will only get into the next minor version (feature release). This means that if your SMA expires, and your version is no longer supported, you will not receive bug fixes anymore to your latest version.
To help you better plan ahead with memoQ, please find here our planned release agenda for the next few months:
9.10: During December 2021
(Version number TBD): during Q1 2022
As of its nature, memoQ cloud server has a slightly different concept. If you are a memoQ cloud user, you always get the latest maintenance version of memoQ. The updates typically come in 14 days after the latest release is officially announced by memoQ Ltd.
Compatibility rules for memoQ cloud are the same as for the other memoQ products.
SMA and eligibility for new version
memoQ cloud subscription includes SMA, so users with a valid subscription are always eligible for using both memoQ support and the latest version of memoQ.