Exporting fully formatted bilingual (unclean) Trados DOC or RTF
Description: If you are required to deliver a fully formatted, bilingual (unclean) DOC/RTF file, you have to “pre-segment” it using Trados Translator’s Workbench, and import that bilingual file into memoQ, instead of the original monolingual source document.
How to: Here’s how you can pre-segment Word documents in Trados Translator’s Workbench:
- Open SDL Trados Translator's Workbench.
- Create an empty translation memory by choosing File/New. Select the language combination you will be working with. Click Create, and name the translation memory.
Note: You don’t need to create a new empty translation memory every time you do this; you can use the same translation memory again later for the same language pair.
- Click Tools/Translate.
- In the Translate Files dialog box, tick the Segment unknown sentences check box.
- Add the files you want to segment by clicking Add...
- Click Translate.
- Now import the pre-segmented files into memoQ.
After translating in memoQ, use the Export bilingual link under the list of translation documents, and choose Trados-compatible bilingual DOC. Make sure Simple formatting is not checked.
Hint: If you import a bilingual Word document into your memoQ project as described here, you can also export a “clean”, target-language-only document using the regular export commands: Export (dialog) or Export (stored path).