Importing Adobe Illustrator files into memoQ
The latest major releases of memoQ do NOT support native .ai files - but they do support .svg.
You can export Adobe Illustrator files (.ai,.eps), DWG, or CAD files into the SVG format.
If you have Adobe Illustrator:
- Before you export your document, you need to change the text from single line text boxes to full paragraph text boxes in Illustrator. This ensures correct segmentation.
- Use the following Illustrator export settings:
These settings prevent too many tags and ensure correct segmentation.
- Save the SVG to a separate folder, because images will be saved separately.
- Import the SVG into memoQ. After translation, export the file back into the original folder, so that the images can be linked correctly.
If you do not have Adobe Illustrator:
You can get a monthly subscription to Adobe Illustrator (https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/plans.html). Cost is 21 USD per month (Fall 2018)
- The free alternative: download and install the open-source editor Inkscape (http://inkscape.org), which supports .ai files. With that, you can open the .ai and save as .svg
- The paid alternative: buy CopyFlow Gold for Illustrator (http://www.napsys.com/shop/). Cost is about 400 USD (Fall 2018)
You can also rename any .ai file to .pdf and open it with any PDF reader!