2. How to Begin
Download, install, and activate memoQ
Open our Downloads page.
The latest memoQ version will be at the top of the list, and older versions further down. Find the one you want to download. Click the arrow to the left of the name to expand the row. Then, click the Download button under the text. For instructions, see the memoQ Installation and Activation Guide.
Go through the Startup Wizard
The Startup Wizard helps you set up some initial preferences for memoQ. To learn more, see that feature's documentation.
You can dismiss the Startup Wizard, and return to it later: click Cancel or Finish.
To return to the Startup wizard, click the memoQ ribbon tab at the top left, then click Help on the blue bar on the left. On the Help page on the right, click the Startup wizard link.
Set memoQ’s language
At first, memoQ will start in English. If you prefer, you can choose from other languages, too.
- At the top of the memoQ window, you will find an icon with three cogwheels: . Click it; memoQ's Options window will appear.
- In the Category list, click Appearance.
- On the Appearance page, click the User interface language box, and choose another language.
- You will need to close memoQ, and start it again.
memoQ 9.6 can appear in one of these languages
Set up the spell checker
You will probably need to check the spelling of your translation before you send it off. In memoQ, you can choose from two different spell checkers.
If you have Microsoft Word on your computer, you can use its spell checker. Do this if you can, because the Word's spell checker has the best possible linguistic quality you can get.
If you don’t have Microsoft Word, or you don’t have a spell checker for the target language, you can use Hunspell, a free spell checker module also used in OpenOffice.
In any case, you need to make your choice before you start translating in memoQ.
- At the top of the memoQ window, click the icon with three cogwheels again. memoQ's Options window appears. In the Category list, click Spelling and grammar. memoQ will check if you have Microsoft Word, and then display the Spelling and grammar page:
- Under Language-dependent settings, choose your main target language. At first, memoQ will be set to use Hunspell for that language. However, if you have that language in Word, click the Microsoft Word radio button in both boxes under the language, and then click OK.
If you don’t have Microsoft Word, you need to use Hunspell. But before you can use Hunspell, you need to install dictionaries for it. After you choose Hunspell in either of the boxes, click the Look for more dictionaries online link at the bottom of the Options window. That will allow you to download and install a dictionary from the Internet.
To learn more about using Hunspell dictionaries, see that feature's documentation.